Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 31, 2018
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP’S COMMITMENT TO WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT GENERATES TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES FOR MILLIONS OF AMERICANS
ANSWERING THE PLEDGE: Companies and associations are responding to President Donald J. Trump’s call and pledging to educate and train more than 6 million workers.
- Companies and associations continue to sign the Pledge to America’s Workers and have now committed to provide more than 6 million educational and training opportunities.
- With these new opportunities, millions of American workers will have the skills and training to advance their careers and earn bigger paychecks.
- These opportunities were secured through private sector pledges, not taxpayer dollars.
- Further, a bipartisan group of 41 governors have signed a pledge to America’s workers.
- President Trump launched the pledge in late July, prompting more than 20 companies and associations to pledge more than 3.8 million training opportunities over the next five years.
- Walmart pledged 1,000,000 new opportunities.
- IBM pledged 100,000 new opportunities.
- FedEx pledged more than 500,000 new opportunities.
- Other companies included Apple, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin, and more.
- Since then, more than 100 new companies and associations have joined these efforts to bring the total to more than 6 million new opportunities.
- IPC, the Association Connecting Electronics Industries, is pledging 1 million new opportunities.
- AT&T is pledging 200,000 new opportunities.
- The National Association of Landscape Professionals is pledging 150,000 opportunities.
DEVELOPING OUR WORKFORCE: President Trump has prioritized workforce development to better train and equip American workers.
- Reflecting his commitment to preparing our Nation’s workforce, President Trump signed an Executive Order creating the National Council for the American Worker in July 2018.
- The Council, comprised of senior Federal officials, is creating a national strategy to ensure our students and workers have the education and training needed to compete in today’s economy.
- The President also established an Advisory Board comprised of business, non-profit, and education leaders to provide recommendations to the Council.
MEETING JOB MARKET DEMANDS: The American economy is roaring back to life and offering workers more and more opportunities that require new skills and training.
- As a result of President Donald Trump’s policies, the economy is booming and providing workers with an unpreceded number of job opportunities.
- The unemployment rate has reached a 49 year low.
- There are a record 7.1 million job openings in the United States.
- The record number of job openings is bringing workers back off the sidelines who had been pushed out of the workforce.
- Workers are in high demand as employers report challenges in locating individuals with the skills and training to fill open positions.
- The rapidly changing modern economy will require new skill sets for our future workforce as new technology and automation grows.