Washington, D.C. – The Steel Manufacturers Association’s (SMA) Board of Directors today announced Dave Sumoski, executive vice president of merchant and rebar products at Nucor, was elected to serve as Chairman of the SMA, through January 2021.
“Dave Sumoski is poised to be a strong advocate for 21st-century steelmakers as we navigate an increasingly complex global steel market. Sustainable growth and economic investments continue to highlight the dominance of Electric Arc Furnace (EAF) steelmakers. The EAF industry will benefit from Dave’s leadership as he represents the interests of this sector of the domestic steel industry,” said Philip K. Bell, president of SMA.
The announcement took place at SMA’s Board of Directors winter meeting in Dallas, Texas.
“It is an honor to work with SMA staff, board members and the executive committee to address challenges that face our industry. Staying grounded in SMA values that focus on the steelmaker, positions SMA to positively impact the future of North American steelmaking,” said Sumoski.
SMA also announced the following leadership updates to the SMA executive committee for 2019-2021 term:
- Mark Millett, SMA first vice-chairman, president, CEO and co-founder Steel Dynamic, Inc.
- Robert Venable, SMA second vice-chairman, president and chief operating officer, Charter Manufacturing
- Tracy Porter, SMA immediate past chairman, executive vice president and chief operating officer, Commercial Metals Company, Inc.
- Kevin Mullen, SMA treasurer, president and general manager, Sterling Steel
- Jeff Dyck, SMA at-large executive committee member, president, Cascade Steel
- Joel Mastervich, SMA at-large executive committee member, executive vice president and chief operating officer, TMK IPSCO
- Chuck Schmitt, SMA at-large executive committee member, president, SSAB Americas